From: sqlite-users-boun...@sqlite.org
[mailto:sqlite-users-boun...@sqlite.org] On Behalf Of D. Richard Hipp
Sent: 25 January 2009 19:40
To: General Discussion of SQLite Database
Subject: Re: [sqlite] Lock SQLite file by overwriting bytes and then
un-lock?

On Jan 25, 2009, at 2:32 PM, RB Smissaert wrote:

> Yes, you are right there. It won't be much good for anything else
> then a
> casual peek at the device. This is a clinical database, so it involves
> patients, diagnoses, medications etc. The ID data and the clinical
> data are
> stored in different tables, but even then with a simple hex editor
> it won't
> be that difficult to match the 2 up.
> So, I suppose the only solution is to encrypt the data. Problem is
> that the
> SQLite on the device can't decrypt and even if it could it would be a
> different system than the one used on the desktop. The DB file is
> made on
> the desktop and then copied to the device and on the desktop I use
> Olaf
> Schmidt's VB wrapper dhRichClient and SQLite 3.6.1. The device app is
> developed with Basic4PPC and that is based on .Net and uses SQLite
> 3.3.12.
> Not sure there is an easy solution there without affecting the speed
> of the
> application.

http://www.hwaci.com/sw/sqlite/see.html is often used to meet HIPAA
requirements.  SEE supports cross-platform databases.  The key can be
entered using PRAGMAs so no new interfaces are needed in your
wrapper.  All you need to do is replace the DLL.  And by purchasing an
SEE license, you get the additional satisfaction of knowing that you
are helping to support the ongoing development and maintenance of
SQLite :-)

D. Richard Hipp
d...@hwaci.com