In my particular case it is simple and I have solved the problem by adding a
function via the VB wrapper.

RBS

-----Original Message-----
From: sqlite-users-boun...@sqlite.org
[mailto:sqlite-users-boun...@sqlite.org] On Behalf Of Darren Duncan
Sent: 11 September 2009 22:52
To: General Discussion of SQLite Database
Subject: Re: [sqlite] Does SQLite have an Instr function?

RB Smissaert wrote:
> Does SQLite have a string function that produces the first position of a
> string within another string?
> For example select Instr('abcd', 'c') would produce 3
> Looked in the documentation and the forum, but couldn't see it.

This also isn't a simple problem since the answer would vary depending on
your
abstraction level in dealing with characters; for example, is a character a
language-dependent grapheme, a language-independent grapheme, a Unicode
codepoint, a byte, an integer, etc.  If asked the length of a character
string
that has an accented letter, say, the answer would vary depending on which
of
the above abstractions they want the answer in, and for less abstracted
answers,
it is affected by what codepoints or bytes are used for the character, etc.
Similarly, asking "at what position does the substring match" is not simple.
In
practice, it is simpler to deal with strings than characters, and asking
simply
*if* a string is a substring of another, is a much simpler question, and
LIKE
does that already. -- Darren Duncan