We got the Porter stemmer code directly from Martin Porter.

I'm sorry it does not work like you want it to.  Unfortunately, we
cannot change it now without introducing a serious incompatibility
with the millions and millions of applications already in the field
that are using the existing implementation.

FTS3 has a pluggable stemmer module.  You can write your own stemmer
that works "correctly" if you like, and link it in for use in your
applications.  We will also investigate making your recommended
changes for FTS4.  However, in order to maintain backwards
compatibility of FTS3, we cannot change the stemmer algorithm, even to
fix a "bug".

D. Richard Hipp
d...@hwaci.com