I collected a little more data on this problem by powering up an old
PPC mac, which is using a hardwired network connection instead of airport.
The behavior is the same - when there is contention for database access,
the mac puts itself to sleep.

I really don't see any scenario where this can be the correct or intended
behavior, but it's still unclear if it is sqlite or mac OSX that is misbehaving.