On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 8:50 AM, Wiktor Adamski
<bardzotajneko...@interia.pl> wrote:
>> There were many problems with
>> that approach:
>> (3) Each table and index is in a
>> separate file so your "database" was a directory full of files instead
>> of a single file
>
> This one is not a problem. Actually I don't see how 1 file is better
> than 1 directory. For example mac application is a directory not a
> file and no one complains. And with several files database would be
> faster (for example dropping a table is instant or fragmentation is
> handled by OS without need for vacuuming whole database). Also with
> current SQLite implementation only tables would be locked by a
> transation not a whole database (a few years ago there were even
> document on SQLite website listing  splittnig database to several
> files as one way to implement table level locks in SQLite).

Two reasons I prefer the single file approach:

1. Simpler copy, tables and indexes don't get lost or mismatched.

2. fewer handles to open a database. Lower overhead.

This still is a small footprint, high-performance, low overhead SQL
implementation. It does what it needs to do and no more.

--
Jim "Jed" Dodgen
j...@dodgen.us