On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 11:33 AM, jeff archer <jarch...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>From: Patrick Earl <pate...@patearl.net>
>>Subject: Re: [sqlite] Lack of "decimal" support
>>
>>If SQLite can't decide on a base-10 format itself, perhaps the answer
>>lies in enhancing the API to allow for custom type storage and
>>operators.
>
> So, like a virtual type interface.  This would be a nice feature.

User defined types.  There are two types in particular that I'd like
to see added:

 - Bit strings.  Bit strings are like character strings, but the
elements can only be bits.  The key is that bit string length matters
when it comes to collation (000 sorts before 0000).  Related
sub-types: IP (v4 and 6) addresses (e.g., 10/8 is easily represented
as an eight bit long bit string: 00001010, while 10.1.2.3.4 is easily
represented as a 32 bit long bit string).

 - Bignums.  64-bit signed integers are not enough :(

However, adding user-defined types must not be easy, since, among
other things, it means making the lexer run-time pluggable so it can
recognize constant value tokens for the new type (unless one is
willing to rebuild SQLite every time one adds a type).

Nico