On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 10:20 PM, Rense Corten <rcor...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Wow, I'm almost embarrassed by how helpful you are, gentlemen. Thanks a
> lot.
>
> As to RAM: I'm trying this on two different machines, one with 12 Gb
> and one with 32 Gb RAM. I won't be able to get more in the near
> future. Something that might be relevant is that the case of the 32Gb
> machine, the database is on an AFS.

Hmm, Jan suggested dedicating the memory to the cache, but if you can use
64-bit sqlite shell, and giving that you have 800 millions (or less) rows,
maybe it's reasonable to switch completely to memory temporary storage?
(PRAGMA temp_store=2;). In best scenario no disk will be involved until
sqlite will be merging two b-trees for your "create table as"

Max