On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 11:52 PM, Richard Hipp <d...@sqlite.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 12:28 PM, Stephan Beal <sgb...@googlemail.com
> >wrote:
>
> > But the reality is still: if the sqlite3 shell links with libreadline, it
> > is GPL.
> >

> Not.

Sorry, i wasn't clear: the resulting binary, not the shell sources, is GPL.
And thus...

> then *you* must also be willing to distribute sources for that program
> under
> the GPL terms.

but the sources aren't affected, at least as long as the readline bits are
only conditionally compiled. If i'm not sorely mistaken, UNconditionally
#including GPLd code makes the sources including them (and those including
_them_) GPL by extension. (But it's not my intention to start a religious
discussion. ;)

--
----- stephan beal
http://wanderinghorse.net/home/stephan/