Patrick wrote:
Hi Everyone

After Oracle acquired Berkeley DB they changed the license. If people
don't pay a significant licensing fee, it can now only be used for GPL code.

I don't know Berkeley DB very well but I do know a moderate amount of
Sqlite.

I want to tinker with a compiler that uses DB, I was thinking about
ripping it out and replacing it with Sqlite. Does this make sense?

I know they are both zero configuration embedded DBs but DB is a
key-value based one and I am assuming lighter, is this true? Any idea of
how close they would be in terms of memory use and execution speed?

BDB is much faster than SQLite, yes. In fact Oracle supplies a port of SQLite that uses BDB as the underlying Btree engine instead of SQLite's native code, and there's a significant performance gain.

If you have an app that is comfortably using the key-value API of BDB it would introduce major inefficiencies to convert it to using SQL. So no, this doesn't seem like a logical action to take.

If you're using BDB and want to switch off it because of the license issue, try OpenLDAP LMDB instead. No license hassles, and also several times smaller and faster than BDB.

--
  -- Howard Chu