On 9 Feb 2014, at 11:18am, Constantine Yannakopoulos <alfasud...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> So, a full table scan seems inevitable.

I can't answer the specific question you asked, but I have a suggestion for
your program: store two text columns in the table.  The first is the text as
entered.  The second is your text reduced to its simplified searchable form,
probably all LATIN characters, perhaps using some sort of soundex.  Search on
the second column but return the text in the first.

This allows you to write your conversion routine in the language you're using
to do the rest of your programming, instead of having to express it as a SQLite
function.

Simon.