>From a MS Access point of view, think of SQLite as your backend, similar to
a desktop version of MS SQL Server.

What language you use really depends on what you are trying to do. If all
you want is forms and reports, you don't have to give up  MS Access, just
use an ODBC driver for SQLite (Google for it), set up an ODBC data source
in MS Windows and connect to it as an external database from MS Access.

If the idea is to set up an application completely outside of MS Access and
you need a reporter writer  -- do you want a commercial report writer like
Crystal Reports or do you want an open source report writer?  Open source
report writer projects tend to be associated with larger business
intelligence (bi)/data warehousing projects such as Talend or Pentaho. The
open source bi projects (Talend and Pentaho) are mostly written in Java.

On the other hand if you are developing phone apps, SQLite is probably
already there in Android, ios or mono.

If you are developing scientific applications you might use the R
statistical language, Python or the new language Julia.

It really depends on what you are tying to do.

Jim Callahan