On Fri, 12 Sep 2014 16:41:40 +0100, Simon Slavin
<slav...@bigfraud.org> wrote:

> On 12 Sep 2014, at 3:44pm,
> Drago, William @ MWG - NARDAEAST <william.dr...@l-3com.com>
> wrote:

> > It seems like a lot of people are unaware of
> > System.Data.Sqlite. This is understandable since most people on
> > this list are C programmers not .NET/C#/VB developers, but this
> > is the support list for System.Data.Sqlite as well as SQLite,
> > isn't it?

> All true.

> > Shouldn't we all be aware that anyone asking for help with
> > Visual Studio and/or EF6 and/or referencing file names like
> > sqlite-netFx451-setup-bundle-x86-2013-1.0.92.0.exe, is asking
> > about System.Data.Sqlite?

> How would I know that ?  I've never programmed for Visual Studio
> or for .NET.  I don't really know what they are (and don't need
> to).  I don't know what names like 'System.Data.Something' and
> 'netFx451' indicate.  For all I know they're something about
> Android.

Well, if it doesn't ring the bell on your front door, why
answer?

Currently SQLite has created a very diverse landscape of
solutions, nobody expects we can cover them all by ourselves.

> There seems to be a confusing multiplicity of possible setups
> including things like Visual Studio and Entity Framework.  And
> they don't all end up needing the same SQLite
> package/library/executable/bundle from the same download site.
> While numerous people on this list can advise on PRAGMAs or a
> good way to phrase something in SQL, to answer questions like
> that you really need someone who actually uses that platform,
> and sometimes even someone who uses that version of that
> platform.
>
> So people post questions like this, but their questions don't
> get answered as quickly as other questions posted on the same
> day.  And, reasonably, they think they're being ignored or their
> question didn't get posted properly or something.

They'll get used to the turn-around time of mailing lists soon
enough, if they are bothered to invest some time themselves.
If they really need immediate answers, they can buy a support
contract.

Eventually, when nobody else in the mailing list provides a
valid answer, Joe Mistachkin (member of the SQLite development
team) usually picks it up.
http://sqlite.org/crew.html

> Would it be possible to write a document for people looking for
> the right thing to download and install for their version of
> .NET or the Visual IDE or whatever it is ?  Perhaps with a text-
> based decision table to let readers figure out which one they
> want ?  And an explanation like the one I keep seeing about
> whether you just need runtime support or whether you also want
> setup/viewing integrated into the IDE.  Then if a question
> includes the words 'Visual Studio' or .NET, anyone can respond
> with a pointer to that document as a first approximation to an
> answer, whether they understand the question or not.
>
> If such document already exists, could someone post a pointer ?

Sure, it's all available at
https://system.data.sqlite.org/

I think the material there covers most of the questions.

--
Groet,

Kees Nuyt