Motivation:

We have many thousands of sqlite databases. Our incremental block
store backups cost a lot of money.

Judging from the disk access patterns on our machines, I strongly
suspect that sqlite is writing a lot of things which are temporary,
but amount to bytes-on-blockstore that we pay for in our backups
unnecessarily.

Also, we have much faster local disks that are smaller, but may give a
performance benefit, since they are potentially have an order of
magnitude or two less latency than the permanent network stores.

I understand that this might be considered highly unsuitable in many
setups, and I came across this thread here:

http://sqlite.1065341.n5.nabble.com/WAL-on-a-separate-filesystem-td30678.html

But I thought I would re-ask in light of this cost and performance
motivation. Is it possible to consider a mode that enabled putting the
journal in a separate directory?

Thanks,

- Peter