So, I guess it is technically not allowed to encode 11 bit unicode
characters as 16.
the greek characters are 0x3XX  which is 10 bits... I checked what
WideCharToMultiByte was doing and found it was using 11 bit encodings...
fixed my encoder to use an appropriate size for what's required, added 11
bit decoding, and now in and out works for that and some chinese characters
which are more than 11 bits.

The 'unrecognized token' is 0xE0  ? ... although a thing could be 12 bits
exactly... so is it checking ( char[0] == 0xe0 ) && ( ( char[1] & 0xE0 ) ==
0x80 )?

as a side note.. using visual studio to mouse over the resulting char *
string with 11 bit encodings it shows bad characters, if encoded as (valid
but illegal) 16 bit it browses correctly.