On Tue, 04 Nov 2014 22:20:23 +0200
RSmith <rsm...@rsweb.co.za> wrote:

> The best way to think of the 64 bit upgrade in normal programming is:
> "Able to do larger accuracy calculations at more or less the same
> speed".

Eh, more accurate how?  Every 32-architecture I compiled for supported
64-bit long integers.  Floating point is unchanged.

The change is bigger address space, and consequently somewhat larger
and slower code.  "Able to address more memory" [virtual or real] is
how I'd put it.

That makes some problems feasible that formerly were not.  And I'm not
so sure such problems are rare.  I remember when allocation 1 GB of
memory (virtual or not) was pure fantasy.  Nowadays laptops with 8 GB
of RAM are pretty pedestrian.

--jkl