On Mon, 08 Dec 2014 20:57:00 -0500
Igor Tandetnik <i...@tandetnik.org> wrote:

> Yes, there are workarounds (a view; or REPLACE INTO may sometimes be
> pressed into service). But I, for one, kinda miss UPDATE ... FROM.

Be careful what you wish for.  :-)

The only implementation of UPDATE...FROM that I know is on SQL Server
(Sybase & Microsoft).  If the join criteria are sastified by more than
one row, each successive value is applied.  The result is
nondeterministic, produces no diagnostic, and cannot be prevented.

The standard SQL syntax -- while verbose, granted -- at least gets the
right answer.  If the subquery to the right of the SET clause produces
more than one row, the statement fails.  With SQL Server's syntax, it
succeeds with the target holding the "last" value, whatever that was.

--jkl