On Mon, 26 Jan 2015 02:28:33 +0000
Simon Slavin <slav...@bigfraud.org> wrote:

> > each name in <columns> should be the shortest possible syntactically
> > correct column reference.
>
> While you're discussing possibilties and alternatives, what should be
> returned as the name for the following column
>
> SELECT 1*2 FROM myTable

To quote me,  ;-)

>> If there is no syntactically correct reference for a particular
>> column then, sure, make one up.  No one can complain about that.

Acknowledged, not every selected column will have a name in the catalog
or designated alias.  For those that do, though, I think both the
standard and common sense, not to mention logical consistency, indicate
the column ought to be known by its name.  That unifies how the user
references it in SQL and in the API.  What could be simpler?

--jkl