I'm still not convinced whether it's the behaviour causing my problem, but
it does look like negative zero is another special case:

SQLite version 3.8.7.2 2014-11-18 20:57:56
Enter ".help" for usage hints.
sqlite> create table datatable2 (doublevalue real);
sqlite> insert into datatable2 values(-0.0);
sqlite> select * from datatable2;
0.0

When inserting it through the API I get the same results, i.e. the signed
bit looks like it gets stripped so technically the value retrieved is not
the bitwise equivalent of what's written in even though it is the logical
equivalent (-0.0 == 0.0).