Thanks so much for the help. I set the timeout to 5 seconds (at each
instance of a db open connection) and was still seeing the database locked
errors with some frequency (haven't quantified it yet), so I will try
extending it to 30 seconds, as you suggest, and hopefully that makes a
difference.

Failing that, PostgreSQL looks promising (thanks so much for the
suggestion!), so I will start trying to implement it.

Thanks Again!