SQLite expects a file system.
"SQLite reads and writes directly to ordinary disk files."
https://www.sqlite.org/about.html

You need a minimal file system.

A file system does not have to be large.
CP/M ran on an 8 bit Z-80 with less than 64k of RAM  (but the original CP/M
was written in Z-80 assembly language -- not C).

Here is an article on a stripped down Linux for M3/M4: uCLinux
http://electronicdesign.com/embedded/practical-advice-running-uclinux-cortex-m3m4

And here is website for SQLite for uClinux.
http://www.menie.org/georges/uClinux/sqlite.html

The other option would be to emulate the Linux system file calls.
You could start from scratch or download the Linux source code (assuming
you have installed and know how to use git source code management system):

# the Linux kernel (approx. 640MB download):
$ git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git

https://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/user-manual.html#how-to-get-a-git-repository

Hope this helps.

Jim Callahan
Orlando, FL