SQLite in GIS
I had known about Spatialite, but I hadn't realized that QGIS was using
SQLite (both indpendently and through Spatialite).

"While PostGIS is generally used on a server to provide spatial database
capabilities to multiple users at the same time, QGIS also supports the use
of a file format called *spatialite* that is a lightweight, portable way to
store an entire spatial database in a single file. ...Using the [Database]
Browser panel, we can create a new *spatialite database* and get it setup
for use in QGIS"
http://docs.qgis.org/2.0/en/docs/training_manual/databases/spatialite.html

A YouTube video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nG-oY5p9O0

"QGIS has support for approximately 2,700 known CRSs [Coordinate Reference
Systems]. Definitions for each CRS are stored in a *SQLite database* that
is installed with QGIS."
https://docs.qgis.org/2.2/en/docs/user_manual/working_with_projections/working_with_projections.html

For more information on the Spatialite family of projects:
http://www.gaia-gis.it/gaia-sins/

Jim Callahan
Orlando, FL