On 2/12/2016 7:24 PM, J Decker wrote:
> well mbstowc and vice versa only understand 16 bit encodings, and do
> not generate codpairs....and do generate d800-dfff characters which
> are entirely illegal in utf-16 (without corresponding pair)

What character in what ANSI codepage ends up converted by mbstowcs to an
unpaired surrogate?

What character in what ANSI codepage requires a surrogate pair to
represent (that is, corresponds to a Unicode character outside of BMP),
and triggers failure when passed to mbstowcs?

With all due respect, I find your claims difficult to believe.

In any case, MultiByteToWideChar and WideCharToMultiByte are perfectly
capable of converting between UTF-8 and UTF-16.
--
Igor Tandetnik