SQLite would be most comparable to *SQL Server Express LocalDB* edition
which is introduced in this July 2011 blog post
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/sqlexpress/2011/07/12/introducing-localdb-an-improved-sql-express/

More uptodate information about *SQL Server Express LocalDB* edition
is in this 2016 Microsoft Developer's Network (MSDN) article
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh510202.aspx

This page "*Appropriate Uses for SQLite*" (whentouse.html) describes BOTH
"*Situations Where SQLite Works Well*"

and

"*Situations Where A Client/Server RDBMS May Work Better*"
http://sqlite.org/whentouse.html

Opening lines of whentouse.html:

"SQLite is not directly comparable to client/server SQL database engines
such as MySQL, Oracle, PostgreSQL, or SQL Server since SQLite is trying to
solve a different problem.   Client/server SQL database engines strive to
implement a shared repository of enterprise data. ...SQLite strives to
provide local data storage for individual applications and devices."

Even Microsoft has adopted SQLite for some limited tasks (such as storing
state) within every shipping copy of Windows 10.
"SQLite is a unique case: it is an open source, externally developed
software that is used by core system components, and our flagship apps like
Cortana and Skype.  ...After shipping SQLite as a system component in July,
we wanted to include it in our SDK for November. With more than 20,000
Windows Apps and more than half of our top apps using SQLite, it made sense
to just make expose the system SQLite to app developers."
http://engineering.microsoft.com/2015/10/29/sqlite-in-windows-10/

There is a historical and unfair (specially compiled version of SQLite
against default settings of PostgreSQL) benchmark
available on this page, but now that you understand the use cases, this
particular benchmark is not that useful in addition
to being out of date and unfair.
https://www.sqlite.org/speed.html

Jim Callahan
Data Scientist