Jim Callahan wrote:
> Is 4096 bytes a large enough page size?
>
> Apparently the disk drive industry has shifted from 512 byte sectors to
> 4096 byte sectors.
> http://tilt.lib.tsinghua.edu.cn/docs/tech/tp613_transition_to_4k_sectors.pdf
>
> Should SQLite maintain a 1:1 ratio between page size and sector size?
> or should the page size be a multiple of the sector size? Say 2:1 (8096 or
> 8K)? or 4:1 (16K).
>
> What sizes do other databases use? (SQL Server and Postgres both use 8096
> default)

You mean 8192.

> For years, virtual machines (VM) have used 4K pages (I think this started
> with IBM VM/370);
> while disk drives had 512 byte sectors (an 8:1 ratio).
>
> With a 2:1 ratio, in terms of seek time, one gets the second page for free.
>
> Would 8096 bytes (8K) be too much for a multi-tasking embedded device (such
> as a smart phone?).

You shouldn't even be discussing a hardcoded number. The page size should be
equal to the page size of the underlying memory management system. 4K on
common x86 systems, 8K on SPARC, etc. Choosing a number smaller than this will
cost you in RMW ops whenever the filesystem tries to do an update. Choosing a
number larger than this is generally going to waste memory.