I use rsync to backup a 400MB sqlite db to a remote server. This is not
fast (which is a don't care problem in my context).  You may want to test
changes to a 'log of sql commands at database'  to get a replay-backup
remotely as it handles text better than binary files (at least the version
I use does).  Rsync of that will save IO.  I also have a process where
changed / new records are flagged and exported for backup.  Rsync works
well for the little delta files, especially identifying ones that have
already been transmitted. You will have to ensure that your automated
process warns you when the remote host decided to change their address or
pc and the sync fails because it is asking if THIS host can be trusted.

regards,
Adam DeVita