On 13 May 2016, at 3:07pm, dandl <david at andl.org> wrote:

> I have no deep knowledge of standard SQL.

I used to know SQL92 very well.  There's no facility for doing anything like
LIMIT or OFFSET in it.  You had to use your programming language to work your
way through all the results and skip the ones you didn't want.

It is because there was no standard for this that each of the big SQL
implementations came up with their own syntax, and even now they still haven't
standardised on one.  I think the syntax SQLite implements is by far the
simplest to understand, and I'm surprised that the other SQL engines haven't
all implemented it as well as maintaining their own.

Simon.