On Aug 9, 2016, at 9:30 PM, Rousselot, Richard A
<richard.a.rousse...@centurylink.com> wrote:

> I could spend a few hours figuring this out and be fine but it will be
> painful for me.

Or you can spend many hours waiting for someone to build it for you.  How many
hours are you willing to wait to save yourself some pain?  (And since when did
learning something new cause pain?)

As to your problem with corporate IT, will they let you install Cygwin?  SQLite
is well-supported in Cygwin, and there is a 64-bit version of Cygwin.  Due to
the way Cygwin works, all packages available for 64-bit Cygwin are also 64-bit.

Cygwin SQLite should be nearly as fast as native SQLite.  There are some big
speed hits in Cygwin, but for the things SQLite does, I can’t see that you’re
going to run into any of the biggest ones.

> The last 32-bit Intel CPU was the PIII in 2004

That’s simply not true.  Many P4s were 32-bit, the Atom processors were 32-bit
only until 2008, and I believe the Core Solo processors were also 32-bit only.

(That latter caused a lot of trouble for me when Apple went 64-bit only and cut
off a bunch of the still-useful Macs I had still in use.)

> no supported Windows OS requires 32-bit CPUs

But equally, Microsoft retrenched from their threat to make Windows 10 the
first 64-bit-only version of Windows.  Wonder why? :)

> The 64-bit version will, I assume, happily work on DBs created in the 32-bit
> version.

Yes.

> What am I missing?

Someone has to do it.  Time is not free.

> Are windows command line tools 32-bit only?

The opposite, actually: the first 64-bit versions of the Visual C++ tool set
were command-line only, as I recall.  I believe that was back in the
pre-VC++2005 days.

> Why add powerful features like CTE if you can't access their power?

Because most of the SQLite binaries are shipped by third parties, not directly
from sqlite.org.  The biggest sources are OSes (virtually all mobile phones,
Mac OS X, Windows, etc.) and third-party applications (virtually all web
browsers, many Adobe and Apple products, etc.)  These third parties built
SQLite to meet their needs.

I’d bet the number of regularly run instances of binaries downloaded directly
from sqlite.org is under 0.01% of the total usage of SQLite.

(That’s a considered guess, not a wild guess.  There are billions of SQLite
instances in the world, and I’m betting there are less than 100,000 users of
the SQLite.org binaries.  I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s under 0.001%.)

Of that tiny percentage, only a small fraction will actually need a 64-bit, and
of that fraction of a fraction, only a small number will be unable to acquire
or build a 64-bit binary.

Why spend a lot of effort on such a small user base?