On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 2:29 PM, Simon Slavin <slav...@bigfraud.org> wrote:

> VACUUM destroys tables (and indexes) and makes new ones, so it frees pages
> and allocates new ones.  The content of the 'unused' bytes in the
> newly-allocated pages would not have anything to do with the content of the
> pages which used to exist.  I don't know if those bytes would dependably
> contain zero or just gibberish.

That's one way to look at it. Another (mine) is that is "moves" pages and
"fills holes",
in which case some pages' content remain largely unchanged, thus I find
reasonable
that on some pages, the reserved pages would be preserved.

Is your answer one informed from knowing exactly what the code does Simon?
Genuinely wondering, this is not a diss or anything like that. --DD