HI Guys
really appreciate all your replies.What I am doing at present is to attempt to import a short test Excel table of two columns with about 4 records in it, the main one I was trying to import had the same trouble
with, it had over 300 records in it with two columns.
the test one has headers on both columns plus 4 lots of data, and I have tried importing it into an existing(empty) table called DXE and then also into a table not existing to see if it would add it.
I have saved it under Excel csv comma delimited
and the suffix of the file definitely says .csv when looking at the folder with windows file explorer. It is all part of a learning curve for me as I am trying to learn how to write small programs with windows forms and feeding data into about 22 different databases, this particular one I am going to try and use as a look up of information to be used elsewhere in other databases,
(hope I am making sense) I am not a computer guru but trying to learn (LOL).

Alan