On 14 Sep 2016, at 7:29pm, Alex Ward <cov...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Perhaps our schema needs a rework, would one table with a million rows be
> better than 500 tables with 2000 rows each?

Yes.  As a guideline, if two tables have the same columns (or even nearly the
same columns) you should consider merging them and adding one extra column to
replace the table name.  This is not a 100% rule, but it's definitely the way
to think.

Fewer tables mean you fewer indexes, fewer views, fewer database pages, better
re-use of released space and more efficient schema handling (no need to search
through hashes of 500 tables for each command).

Since we're talking guidelines, another is that you should be able to hold the
entire column makeup of one table in your head at once.  So a table with more
than say 20 columns is another sign you might rethink things.  I'm not accusing
you of making that mistake, I just thought I'd mention the two guidelines
together.

Simon.