On Saturday, 15 October, 2016 16:44, Richard Damon <rich...@damon-family.org>,
wrote:

> Summary of what I have seen:

> Schema for table has an auto-increment primary key, and a Date-Time
> field (which has duplicate values)

> Records are to be retrieved in Date-Time order, with duplicate values
> needing to be retrieved in a consistent (and perhaps even specified by
> something else)

> The OP was careful to initially insert the records in Date-Time order,
> and records with identical Date-Times in the 'proper' order (so the
> auto-increment field just happens to be the proper total order).

> He then wants to later add a new record, and wants the auto-increment to
> 'automatically' update to keep it in total order.

> It has been pointed out that this is NOT the way an auto-increment field
> is intended to work.

> Some people have come out with various ways to implement a sort field
> that leaves gaps to allow at least some level of inserting new records
> between old records.

> My thought is that if the first level of sort IS by Date-Time, and then
> by some other condition, then the real solution is to use an ORDER BY
> clause on the Date-Time field and then some other field to implement the
> duplicate value ordering (and likely have a covering index so this ORDER
> BY is efficient). This extra field doesn't need to be globally unique,
> just unique within a given value of Date-Time, so the practical issues
> in processing the primary key are greatly reduced (at minimum, if you
> need to renumber records, there are a lot less that need to be
> renumbered).

As described the first level sort cannot be by DateTime since the datetime
field does not contain sortable data (it is neither an offset from some epoch
nor it is an ISO-8601 formatted string (biggest datepart to littlest datepart
in fixed width format per part) expressed in UTC.  (datetime stored as
localtime values are inherently unsortable for any location in which the
timezone has ever changed offset -- which for most wall-clocks is at least
twice per year).

If the datetime were stored so as to permit sorting by datetime such that an
ORDER BY could be used, the whole issue would not exist.  Duplicates could be
eliminated simply by using greater precision in the datetime data stored.

The whole reason for using a "manual sortation field" is so that a human can
decide what order to display the data in via a "manual" operation.