A follow-up on this (and a late thanks!):

I've used your answer to write some build instructions for Ubuntu and Raspbian
at
http://blog.wezeku.com/2016/10/09/using-system-data-sqlite-under-linux-and-mono/

I've also modified the F# SQLProvider type provider so that it no longer always
loads
Mono.Data.SQLite under Mono, but allows you to specify that System.Data.SQLite
should be
loaded regardless of whether the platform is .NET or Mono:
http://fsprojects.github.io/SQLProvider/core/sqlite.html#SQLiteLibrary

/John