Hello,

I'm asking this for further discussion of a deficiencies of emacs
sql-mode w/ sqlite databases
(https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=23566).

If the cmd line tool sqlite3 is used, is it possible to damage a file,
given as sqlite database file argument to sqlite3?

Just

sqlite3 existing.file

with any (non sqlite database file) file works for me and present me the
ordinary sqlite3 cmd line prompt. I'm able to make selects but as far as
I do something, that needs the database file (reading data or altering
it) I get the error:

Error: file is encrypted or is not a database

After exiting sqlite3, I find some.file unmodified.

While this is fine (and sane) (and expected) this is just some anecdotal
data by me.

It would help me in the above mentioned discussion, if I could point to
a more trusted source, that the sqlite developer activly care about (by
magic bytes et. al.) not mangling non sqlite database files erroneously
given as sqlite database file argument to sqlite3.

rolf