D. Richard Hipp wrote:

Over the past 30 days, the www.sqlite.org website has seen 6 separate 10-minute bursts of activity with 250000 hits/day rates and many 1-minute bursts in the 450000 hits/day range. Rates in excess of 200000 hits/day have been sustained for a couple of hours on one event. (Many of the 1-minute and 10-minute burst records can be found within that two-hour episode.)

These figures only count hits that accessed the database at least
once.  Images and static pages are not counted.

More data:

I duplicated the www.sqlite.org website on my desktop then started
hammering on it using multiple instances of "wget -r".  I ran the
test for several minutes.

During this test, every hit involved multiple SELECTs and at least
one UPDATE against a single sqlite database file.  The database engine
was easily able to handle a rate of over 2500000 (2.5M) hits/day or
about 30 hits/second.  The database did not appear to be the limiting
factor in this test - other components (such as the customized web
server that www.sqlite.org uses and the exec()-ing of RCS commands)
seemed to be what kept it from going even faster.

So I'm going to revise my earlier estimates of SQLite's abilities
for use with websites.  I now believe that SQLite is appropriate
for use as the primary database on websites that get up to 1 million
hits per day.

--
D. Richard Hipp -- [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- 704.948.4565