> On Mar 12, 2020, at 1:17 PM, Richard Hipp <d...@sqlite.org> wrote:
>
> I have set up an on-line forum as a replacement for this mailing list:

Oh crap.

> The Forum is powered by Fossil.

I appreciate that you like to 'eat your own dog food'. However, I strongly
disagree with your using a homemade forum rather than something like Discourse.

In a messaging system, the user interface is critically important. I don't
think it matters much whether the SQLite forum can render a page in "about
0.003s" as it says in the footer. What's important is usability — following
discussions, finding new content, reading it, and composing messages.

There's a reason many people cling to mailing lists as their preferred
messaging system: email clients have evolved for nearly 50 years to be good
messaging clients. If you like mail apps there are really good ones like Apple
Mail and Outlook, if you like using a website then Gmail etc. are pretty good,
and if you're a CLI guy there are great terminal-based ones.

It's very easy to slap together some HTML tables and textareas and have a
functional forum GUI. It will suck, though. The kind of things that make
web-based forums work well are difficult to do, and in my experience there are
few implementations that really work well — the only ones that come to mind are
Discourse, Google Groups, and groups.io <http://groups.io/>.

In a nutshell: by building a forum you're moving way outside your core
competency. It would be wiser to outsource this to a product that's been built
for this purpose by people who are really good at it.

Personally, I don't have SQLite questions all that often. I hang out in the
mailing list because it's easy to follow it in my email client and it's
convenient to post and reply. The forum, from my brief experience today, is
really awkward. I may not be showing up there very often.

—Jens