Thanks for your informative reply.

I would like to know, whether I can open a database which is created
using the sqlite API from a program, using the sqlite command line
client?

[I tried it using sqlite <db name with full path>  and it shown the
following error-

Unable to open database "/root/userdb": file is encrypted or is not a
database .

How can I open the database using sqlite command line? ]

Thank you very much.

Lloyd.