From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, December 18, 2006 9:12 AM
To: sqlite-users@sqlite.org
Subject: Re: [sqlite] Is there a method for doing bulk insertion?

"Anderson, James H \(IT\)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> ....or do I have to creation a gazillion insert statements?

The sqlite3 command-line shell has a ".import" command which
can be used to read CSV data.  But the way this works internally
is that the command-line shell constructs an INSERT statement,
parses each line of the CSV file and binds the values to that
INSERT statement, then runs the INSERT statement for each line.
So at the end of the day, a bunch of INSERT statements are still
getting evaluated - you just don't see them.

On my workstation, an INSERT statement can be parsed, compiled,
and evaluated in 25-40 microseconds.  That's about 30000 rows
per second.  How much performance do you need?

--
D. Richard Hipp  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>