On Wed, 2007-04-11 at 10:00 -0500, P Kishor wrote:
> I think, looking from Lloyd's email address, (s)he might be limited to
> what CDAC, Trivandrum might be providing its users.
>
> Lloyd, you already know what size your data sets are. Esp. if it
> doesn't change, putting the entire dataset in RAM is the best option.
> If you don't need SQL capabilities, you probably can just use
> something like BerkeleyDB or DBD::Deep (if using Perl), and that will
> be plenty fast. Of course, if it can't be done then it can't be done,
> and you will have to recommend more RAM for the machines (the CPU
> seems fast enough, just the memory may be a bottleneck).

Sorry, I am not talking about the limitations of the system in our side,
but end user who uses our software. I want the tool to be run at its
best on a low end machine also.

I don't want the capabilities of a data base here. Just want to store
data, search for presence, remove it when there is no more use of it.

Surely I will check out BerkeleyDB. The data set must be in ram, because
the total size of it is very small. (Few maga bytes) I just want to
spped up the search, which is done millions of times.

Thanks,

 LLoyd