Andreas Volz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'll tell you my current situation. I implemented a web cache function
> for images and other data in my application. In the past I saved the
> data on the hard disk with a special name and had a text file with the
> relation "cache file name <-> url". But I didn't like it. Now I like to
> evaluate sqlite as solution.
>
> So my question is about the binary data. Is it better to insert the
> images and other media data (e.g. videos with < 10 MB of size) into the
> DB or only a "pointer" to a file laying around on my hard disk? I would
> estimate a maximum DB size of several hundred MB.
>
> How good/bad is reading/writing this data into a BLOB compared to write
> it as file beside the DB and write only a small name into the DB? Where
> is the difference between both ways regarding memory and CPU usage?
>
> BTW: My current use case writes data slow, but reads data fast. Reading
> BLOB's must be as fast as reading on the hard disk.

In my studies, BLOB I/O is faster than disk I/O for BLOBs of about
50KiB or less on Linux.  Disk I/O is faster for larger BLOBs.  I
have received reports that the transition threshold is about 14KiB
on win32.  In my experiements, BLOB I/O is about 10% slower than
direct disk I/O for multi-megabyte blobs.
--
D. Richard Hipp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>