I just tried this line also and the journal files are still being created
here is the code I am running:

        int32_t ret = sqlite3_open(filename, m_DatabaseRef);
          if( ret == SQLITE_OK )
        {
                sqlite3_stmt*  sqlStmt = NULL;
                ret = sqlite3_prepare_v2(m_DatabaseRef, s_ "PRAGMA
main.journal_mode = OFF;", -1, &sqlStmt, NULL);
                if( ret == SQLITE_OK )
                {
                        sqlite3_step(sqlStmt);
                        const unsigned char* colValue =
sqlite3_column_text(sqlStmt, 0);  <----- returns "off"
                        sqlite3_finalize(sqlStmt);
                }
          }

Anything wrong with the way I am doing this?
Thanks for the help.