On Dec 24, 2009, at 5:46 PM, Nick Shaw wrote:

> I'd suggest having your own sqlite3.dll in your own application's
> working folder, rather than relying on an existing version somewhere
> on the PC already which could be any version!
>
> If you created your own DLL, why would you then want to statically
> link to it (defeating a lot of the point of a *dynamic* load
> library)?  That doesn't provide you with any back/forwards
> compatibility.  Why not dynamically load the sqlite3.dll and the
> required functions at runtime instead?  If the functions can't be
> found on the load, you would then be able to handle it gracefully
> and inform the user, rather than having the prompt of a procedure
> entry point error, which means nothing to non-programmer users.

Yet if you compile sqlite3.c in statically, then there is
no chance at all that you will fail to find the required
functions. And it guarantees that your app always runs with
the same version that you tested with. Compiling SQLite in
statically will only add 250KB or thereabouts to your binary.

What are the advantages of using a DLL if you store it in
the application's folder and don't expect any apps other
than yours to use it?