On 13/03/11 10:00, Tsantilas Christos wrote:
Convert dns_timeout and dns_retransmit_interval configuration options to
use millisecond resolution.

One second resolution is too coarse for small timeouts in
delay-sensitive environments, especially when a retransmit, bypass, or
another corrective action is available and is likely to produce a
positive outcome. In DNS world specifically, most timeouts are measured
in milliseconds.

NOTE: This patch add a new cf.data.pre type the time_msec which is a
uint64_t. I found more practical to use an integer to store miliseconds,
but using the timeval type may has advandages too.

This is a Measurement Factory project

+1.

I will also propose a related change. Reducing the dns_timeout to 5 seconds default.

The existing state of several 2 minute dns_timeout expecting to be finished within a 1 minute connect_timeout is leading to connection problems on some systems where IPv6 times out but IPv4 is perfectly usable.

Amos
--
Please be using
  Beta testers wanted for 3.2.0.5