Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
On 06.06.08 18:35, Brodsky, Jared S. wrote:
Getting ready to roll out a squid server in my organization after doing
about a month of testing on it on a virtual machine in VMware server.
Is running squid in a virtual environment recommended, or is having a
dedicated box a safer way to go?  I'll have about 30 users that hit
YouTube and other streaming media sites throughout the day and I am
hoping to cache a lot of it since many watch the same ones more than
once.  I do, however have a box set aside that I can use which is a P4 3
Ghz w/ 1GB ram and was going to drop in two 10,000 RPM drives for the
cache.  I know that the squid wiki says JBOD is preferable, however is
RAID 0 a bad way to go?

when you loose one disk in RAID0 (or system level of JBOD), You'll loose the
whole cache. If it happens with multiple cache directories (squid't use of
JBOD), you'll only loose that part on that disk...

At which point you better hope that:
 - none of the root 2 levels of cache directory have been affected
 - none of the content files have been truncated/broken/corrupted
or you loose varying amounts of cache stability anyway and have to erase and rebuild or at best risk bad content given out. Which in my experience usually happens on the largest longest-lived files.

Most types of RAID are of no net benefit with current Squid, (but Okay if you have no choice AND its hardware driven).