----- Original Message -----

I recently had same problems. I figured that the 65k figure shown by squid
is not what it actually gets from OS. But what it expects from OS.

In your case too OS limit is 1024 (just like in my case).

Solution to problem is here: (should work on centos)
http://www.mail-archive.com/squid-users@squid-cache.org/msg88082.html
OR

http://www.squid-cache.org/mail-archive/squid-users/201302/0142.html