> Some of my mail to a client is bouncing back due to being incorrectly
> tagged as spam. One of my messages made it through, but their system
> marked it as "suspected spam". I've pasted, below, the spam scoring their
> server assigned to my message.
>
> My message was sent from SquirrelMail. I see it objects to the lack of an
> X-Mailer header in SquirrelMail messages. Is that part of the mail
> standard that should be incorporated into SM?
>
> ---- Spam detection score from recipient mail server ------------
> -1.5 BAYES_01               BODY: Bayesian spam probability is 1 to 10%
>                            [score: 0.0122]
> 3.5 RCVD_IN_NJABL_DIALUP   RBL: NJABL: dialup sender did non-local SMTP
>                            [65.92.117.21 listed in dnsbl.njabl.org]
> 2.6 RCVD_IN_DYNABLOCK      RBL: Sent directly from dynamic IP address
>                            [65.92.117.21 listed in dnsbl.sorbs.net]
> 0.1 RCVD_IN_NJABL          RBL: Received via a relay in dnsbl.njabl.org
>                            [65.92.117.21 listed in dnsbl.njabl.org]
> 0.1 RCVD_IN_SORBS          RBL: SORBS: sender is listed in SORBS
>                            [65.92.117.21 listed in dnsbl.sorbs.net]
> 1.2 PRIORITY_NO_NAME       Message has priority setting, but no X-Mailer

>From 1.4.0rc2 squirrelmail uses User-Agent and not X-Mailer header.
SpamAssassin incorrectly assigns PRIORITY_NO_NAME score because it does
not test for User-Agent: header. This error is fixed in 3.0.0cvs.

SquirrelMail stable adds both headers in order to avoid triggering this SA
error. SquirrelMail devel adds only User-Agent:. When stable SpamAssassin
version with PRIORITY_NO_NAME fix is released - stable SquirrelMail will
use only User-Agent:. Use of both headers triggers some German SA rulesets
and I agree with these rules. Program should not use both headers.

See last part of
http://cvs.sf.net/viewcvs.py/squirrelmail/squirrelmail/class/deliver/Deliver.class.php?r1=1.18.2.4&r2=1.18.2.5

You get 6.3 points because four DNS tests inform about same thing. Even if
you fix X-Mailder header, you still rely on Bayes scores to pass spam
filters.

If 65.92.117.21 is your server's address - you are running smtp server in
dialup/broadband ip range. Some servers will block you even without
SpamAssassin.

If 65.92.117.21 is your clients address - SpamAssassin should not add
dynablock scores for first Received: line, unless it is the only Received:
line. SquirrelMail 1.5.x provides options that disable these headers (see
changes in same delivery class), but you must understand possible
consequences of removing these headers.

--
Tomas