Hello,

On 2/16/11 9:33 PM, Morten Isaksen wrote:
Hi,

We have a OpenSER 1.1 platform running with radius accounting and I am
in the progress of updating it to Kamailio 3.1.

I am trying to decide if I should do accounting via Radius or directly
to MySQL on the new platform.

The only benefits a can see with Radius is that you can build some
redundancy into your radius client. If one Radius server is failing
then try the next and you can configure radius to log to a file if the
DB is down. But i think you can get the same level of redundancy with
a replicated DB setup with heartbeat/pacemaker.

If I choose to do the accounting direct to MySQL I will skip the
Radius layer (and one error source).

Are there any other pros and cons?
saying it from beginning, I haven't really used RADIUS very much so far, so I am pro-MySQL.

Yes, you can use shared IP Active-Standby MySQL pair with cross replication, Kamailio will reconnect automatically when the connection is lost. I haven't gone for radius so far since the end storage was sql database anyhow, therefore I prefer to go directly there, for the reason you mentioned: one less point of failure in the platform.

Cheers,
Daniel

--
Daniel-Constantin Mierla