The only thing you have to worry about when heating the brass is to make sure you heat it evenly. An oven or regular steaming of the loco will do this. Heating the brass sheet with a torch will not, and the metal will warp.

I routinely use .005" brass sheet on my locos, and have never had an ounce of trouble with them warping. I use them for boiler jacket material, and as a wrapper around the smokebox. You'll be fine.

One word of caution: I recently tried Krylon's bar-b-que paint, which they advertise doesn't need primer. Don't believe it for a minute. The paint flaked away with only the slightest provocation. I took all of that off, and repainted with regular primer, then a coat of regular black paint, as I've done on my other locos without problem. That worked far, far better.

Lesson: Stick with what works.

Later,