Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2005 12:31:07 -0800
From: Geoff Spenceley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Planes and trains

  When flying, can anyone out in the "steam" inform  me concerning any
problems there may be  taking a small loco (like the  Aster Lion) in
the carry-on bag on board. I  would like  recent experiences as the
type of security keeps changing--like from federal employees to
private security companies, etc.-- trained chimpanzees next?

Geoff.

My experience is that the scanner operators at Heathrow airport have no difficulty in telling exactly what is in the box. I took a 16mm scale loco to New Zealand, via Chicago and Los Angeles. It was carried in a blue plastic toolbox. At Heathrow, I asked the scanner girl, "Can you tell what it is?" "A locomotive" she replied, "Do you want to come and have a look?" So we put the loco, in its box back on the conveyor and nipped round to the viewing side. Not only could one see the detail of the steam loco, but tell the colour of it as well.

When we had to go through the scanners again at Chicago, it was a totally different story. They just did not have a clue! "What's in the box, Man?", "You'll have to open the box." I did, but I don't think they still knew what it was!

I had similar response at LA last February when I was returning to the UK.

Keith