Hello,

I bought some western red cedar, 2 x 4's and 4 x 4's, to begin construction of the elevated line. I have moved some plants, drawing some inspiration from this picture: http://www.gaugeone.org/images/LNWR.jpg but on a smaller and more manageable scale. The line should be about 30" above the ground. I have a half acre but a 20 x 40 ft. area should be a good start. Okay, the real inspiration was catching a cold from having to get down on the ground for operations and not wanting to go through the nasty cold business again.

I am located in the Harrisburg, PA, area and frost heave evidences itself from time to time. I plan on digging post holes about a foot and a half deep, filling the bottom with about two inches of gravel, installing the post in the hole and then backfilling with dirt while maintaining plumb. Based on this methodology, will the posts be susceptible to the effects of frost heave?

Thanks,
Joe