Liviu Nicoara wrote:
FWIW, option 3 makes more sense to me.

It could be enhanced though in the light of Martin's reply to Mark: some tests do not cleanly apply to a section. In which case option 3 can be enhanced to place such tests in the regress dir w/o a section number.

I would agree with the suggested enhancement. I recall seeing the reply in question, and I think the enhancement was batting around in the back of my mind prior to proposing the option, but I neglected to articulate it.

--Andrew Black

Liviu

Andrew Black wrote:
If we constrain ourselves to the proposed options, my vote is for Option 2. The reason for this vote is because it allows us to more easily determine what regression tests need to be run for a particular change.

If we don't constrain ourselves to the proposed options, I wish to put forward an additional option.

Option 3:
   Put all regression tests in tests/regress/, using the following
   naming convention:
   tests/regress/<section-number>.stdcxx-<issue-number>.cpp

This option would allow us to quickly locate all regression tests, and identify which section each regression test applies to without consulting Jira.

--Andrew Black

Martin Sebor wrote:
I'm not hearing any yay's or nay's on the proposed convention
so how about a vote to practice our consensus building skills?
Everyone is encouraged to vote, including non-committers.

Option 1:
  Put all regression tests in tests/regress/, naming each as
  follows:
  tests/regress/stdcxx-<issue-number>.cpp

Option 2:
  Mix regression tests in with the rest based on the clause
  in the standard and name each according to the following
  formula:
  tests/<section>/<section-number>.stdcxx-<issue-number>.cpp

Martin